Sunday, January 14, 2007

He is Franz Kafka... FRANZ KAFKA!

I go in waves with reading and these waves have high peaks and low-lows. Right now I'm in a peak phase and have a strong hunger to read.

I just read Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami and despite my better judgment, Cell by Stephen King. Kafka was a good bit of surreal escapism I indulged in during the xmas vacation in Texas. Despite the heady beginning and interesting duel story lines and tense choice, it seemed that the ending was rushed and failed to tie together many of the loose ends, and not to the credit of the style either. I have a fetish for post-apocalyptic stories so when my Mom handed me a paperback of SK's Cell I said, "What the hell, why not?" It's no The Stand and is written in SK style 1.0 that we all loved in ninth grade, but it was a good no-brainer for the plane ride home and such. As usual, the characters were weak, the story had a nice pace, it was better than the title suggested, and the ending, like all SK novels, sucked or it may be argued, left us hanging for part II...I'll pass on that.

Now I am looking for another book to dig into. Preferably something fiction and a little (or a lot) on the weird side, but NO fantasy. I'm not opposed to sci-fi, but so much of the genre is just space drama...and I don't want to read that crap. You know me dear reader. Any suggestions?

And speaking of Kafka: for your viewing pleasure - the best Rock Opera EVER!

1 Comments:

Blogger MsHellion said...

"Livin' like a bug ain't eeee-zaaaaay."

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home