Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Fountain

I sat in the theater alone and watched The Fountain this evening. Although I expect it will be out of theaters by the end of this week, check this movie out if you:

a: think most "blockbusters" exist only as an opiate for the masses
b: have an I.Q. above 130
c: enjoy non-linear cinema


The Fountain is a phenomenal cinematic experience that takes the viewer through a struggle with the core-questions of life, death, and immortality...by way of breathtaking scenes. Say what you will, but director Darren Aronofsky IS the new Stanley Kubrick in this writer's opinion.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve Caratzas said...

I also quite enjoyed this film, though I concede it had some flaws. I think Aranofsky reached for the moon with this picture, and though he fell a bit short, I am very appreciative of his effort to create something unique and thought-provoking. More directors should take similar risks.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Dr. Chingasa said...

Yeah - I didn't like how he wrapped it up as a story and the final nebula/star visuals were a bit corny to me.

I was most appreciative of the complex storyline of the search for the Fountain of Youth literally, physically, and spiritually and making peace with death.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Steve Caratzas said...

It was profoundly moving and on that level the best film I've seen in quite some time.

5:55 PM  
Blogger yournamehere said...

I like films that offer hilarious hijinks and include the song "Do You Love Me?"

9:12 PM  
Blogger Dott Comments said...

I loved "The Fountain."

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home