Saturday, November 04, 2006

Kick-Ass Meatless Chili

I'm not a vegetarian, but for the last few months I've reduced the amount of meat I consume, especially red meat/mammals because I have high blood pressure, with a thick family history of cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. Plus I'm kinda a hippie at heart, despite my big-honky appeal. I love to cook, and obviously eat, so I'm trying new recipes. One dish I've traditionally made with great pride is chili. I just finished my first try at Chili sans meat, and I gotta say that I like it. This is a "spicy" recipe, but not hot at all. So here's a recipe for all you vegetarians and/or flexitarians out there:

Ingredients:

12oz Yves Good Ground (soy)
2 white or yellow onions,diced
15 oz dark red kidney beans
1 dried ancho pepper, seeded
32 oz of tomatoes (i like to puree fresh assorted tomatoes myself, this latest try it was grape and roma tomatoes)
2-3 oz chili powder
1-2 tsp cumin
dash of bourbon or cheap beer
1 tsp dried oregano
fresh cilantro
2 tsp peanut oil
salt to taste
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa
dash cinnamon
4.5 oz of diced green chile peppers

for those who like hot and spicy chili I recommend:
- using Tony Chachere's Original Seasoning in place of salt
- tobasco sauce to taste



Directions

Prep- dice onions. Using a blender or food processor, puree tomatoes, seeded ancho peppers, and green chiles

- Using a dutch oven or stew pot, brown the onions in the oil
- when onions are nearly clear, add all the spices and a dash of salt stir until coated.
- add splash of beer or bourbon, take a sip yourself, stir
- add pure'd tomatoes/chiles (it looks pink and nasty and that's OK)
- bring heat mix to a slow boil then cover and reduce heat to low
- stir/check mix every 10 minutes, add salt, chile powder to adjust taste
- after 30-40 minutes of this add ground soy-meat and kidney beans (drained if in a can)
- garnish with freshly chopped (for the aroma) cilantro and white onions
- goes great with cornbread
- adding spaghetti is considered blasphemous



Food picturres always suck, but here it is anyways...

1 Comments:

Blogger MsAPhillips said...

Given some of your earlier posts about dutch ovens, I guess I'm trying this in the stew pot.

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home