Thursday, August 16, 2007

Notes from the Church of Dave


I spent the last 2 days at Wellspring hermitage, just south of the Abbey of Gethsemani. I am not Catholic, nor a Christian in the traditional sense, but I do practice an occasional sample of the ascetic life. So for me, that means that a few times a year I do 'Zen Rounds' of sitting and walking in and around a cabin in the middle of nowhere, take a temporary vow of silence, fast, read, dream, and observe nature (highlights include: 2 deer, 1 giant blue heron, shitloads of ducks, treefrogs, loud bullfrogs, swampy algae, 5 shooting stars).

In this particular visit, I inadvertently "studied" Bokononism (thanks to the late Kurt Vonnegut and his novel Cat's Cradle) and then brushed up on my Computer Mediated Communication textbook, for my upcoming professorial debut.

This is the last weekend before I jump back into the working world again. I have been out of work for 10 months. I have been nocturnal for at least 8 of those months. I hung-up my roller-derby coach whistle last week and I'm going work-clothes shopping this weekend. My son started High School this week. I am generally nervous about the fact that I am not specifically nervous yet. And so another chapter comes to a decent close. I'll title it, The Rest, Roller-Derby, and Relaxation Days. But the air seems thick and dreadfully still. The next chapter seems to have a very heavy first page. I know from hindsight and my gut (which I trust implicitly nowadays), that times like these tend to have serious future implications.

What Would Bokonon Do?

1 Comments:

Blogger MsAPhillips said...

Peculiar travel suggestions
are
dancing lessons
from
God.


Don't sweat the foma, and it's all foma.

Way to go, Dave!

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home