Sunday, November 05, 2006

I Got That Freaky Bunco Feeling



My mom used to host bunco parties. Two hours prior to the party my dad, my brother, and I were tasked with every minor cleaning detail and Mom made some food that smelled really good. Then we were politely asked to make ourselves scarce for 2 hours and not disturb the bunco party. Dad would go hit some golf balls, my brother would go terrorize the neighborhood kids, but I would silently sit in my room fascinated with the screams of "BUUUUNCO!" from poofy haired, uber-conservative ladies that taught Sunday School classes down at the First Baptist Church. I couldn't believe that these were the same women who warbled out 'Old Rugged Cross' and chided me for chewing on the pews when I was bored during church. I think one of them even flicked me by the ear once when I made up my own lyrics to the old spiritual that they were butchering with old-lady falsetto & excessive vibrato. "I will NEVER sit, where the OLD LADIES sing," I cried in sync with, "I will cling to that old rugged cross..." True to my version of the song, I never again made the mistake of sitting in the audibly annoying old-lady section of the church. But I digress.



I'm wondering if my son is having similar feeling or what if anything is going through his mind at this moment. A few hours ago, we were tasked with helping to just "pick up" around the house - a task that turned into a major cleaning effort. I ditched most of it for a nice football-nap. Ladyfriend had us cleaning for her board meeting with the Derby City Roller Girls. She made white chili. I love chili. So at this moment I've been kicked upstairs and Rick has to take care of the dog while playing World-of-Warcraft in his room. Is he fascinated with them, angry with them? Will he hold resentment for Roller Girls and mock them at their upcoming bouts as I did the old church ladies? These ladies are hot though; they are NOT the butterscotch eating, creepy old church ladies. Nevertheless, there is a parallel! Maybe I need to take up golf.

3 Comments:

Blogger MsAPhillips said...

Church ladies playing Bunco:
A hint of kick-ass.

Roller derby girls:
Lucky if it's only your ass that gets kicked.

6:33 AM  
Blogger yournamehere said...

I pray that Rick doesn't grow to resent the Roller Girls.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Steve Caratzas said...

Everyone knows Roller Derby girls eat Bunco dice for breakfast. Rick sounds too smart to have missed this point.

4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home